Thursday, February 11, 2010

Turkey vs. Beef

So as I've been trying to drop a few lbs the past month and I've been looking around and experiment with a lot of new ways to cook and eat.  One substitute that I've been trying to implement is the turkey.  So lean, so good with stuffing, but boy is it dry when you grind it up.  By no way has it ever compared to ground beef when you're making burgers because lets face it, the fat from beef just melts in our mouth. . mmm.  I've tried probably 3 times before yesterday to cook some type of meal with ground turkey and every time the outcome is DRY, DRY, DRY.

Then comes allrecipes.com.  I've used the site a lot to try new stuff but yesterday I stumbled upon one entitled "Moist Turkey Burgers." The trick to making these burgers sooo moist is by sauteing the chopped onions (not too much) in a pan before you add it to the ground turkey to make the patties.  I added fresh garlic to the mix and it tasted great.  I'm sorry that I didn't take a picture because it was amazing but I'll just steal one from google and call it done. BOO ya!


(By the way, I so didn't add the red cabbage stuff - I added an avacado. ymmm)

1 comments:

Joe and Breana said...

Yum! We have made turkey burgers a few times recently and I never thought they were dry. Cooking the onion a little sounds like a good idea! We made turkey chili from the allrecipes website this week and it was really good! I added a lot more chili powder than it called for. Let us know if you come across any other good turkey recipes.