Monday, May 2, 2011

Happy Birthday Casey

May 1st is my sister's wedding anniversary - it's also Casey's birthday.  Casey is my now 8 year old dog. She's half black lab, half english pointer.  I got her when I was in College at A&M.  I saw an ad in the College Station paper and my friend Tyan drove out with me into the country to look at the puppies.  The directions I was given were kinda crazy, luckily Tyan was brave enough to go with me so I wouldn't be alone.  I specifically remember being told to turn at the "big row of mailboxes where there should also be a cow standing."

Amazingly, we found the place.  I specifically hadn't taken ANY money. . . I didn't want to buy on impulse.  Every puppy in that litter was absolutely adorable.  They were all solid black.  But the little runt stood out to Tyan and I.  I remember Tyan saying, "Shelby, you've GOT to have some money somewhere in this car?! We need to get that runt!!"  But we didn't, so we left and since it was already dark, I went back the next day and bought the runt.  

I can honestly say, that was the BEST money I've ever spent in my life. Casey got me through the rest of college, many boyfriend breakups, my first real job, and now all the way into marriage and a baby.  She is my best friend.  I realize this sounds totally crazy and weird to most people. Before James and I got married, Casey and I lived in a 3 bedroom duplex for 3 years, just the two of us.  If Casey needed a lung - and it were possible - I would give her one of mine.  I love her THAT much, and I guess I'm just THAT crazy.  She has been there in my darkest times as well as my happiest times.  So, since I'm big on birthdays, we always make hers special. 

And, following a tradition that my grandparents did for my sister and I, we always give the other dog an "unbirthday" present too :)  We are totally crazy for our dogs like that in this house!
Here's Casey - napping on our bed like a little old lady
Casey's present - a BIG scoop of ice cream from Sonic, canned food for dinner, and a stuffed Squirrel that squeaks - since she is ALWAYS watching squirrels from the living room windows
And here's Parker's "unbirthday" present - same things, except he has a big 'ole fat stuffed elephant that squeaks 
mmmm - EVERYONE likes a big blog of ice cream on their birthday! 

Casey 
Parker
Parker - enjoying BOTH stuffed animals.  Casey wasn't really interested in her squirrel until Parker tried to like it, THEN she was all over it

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You're not crazy. Happy birthday and unbirthday to the furry family members.

Tamara said...

Aww this made me really miss you guys! I love Casey too! Happy birthday!

bcmagg said...

of course casey's the best! . . and parker too!

Joe and Breana said...

Awww, what a sweet post! That's so cute they get ice cream for their birthdays! I think we should implement the present thing.....we get presents too when it's someones birthday!=) ha ha! Love it!