Sunday, February 28, 2010

Vibram FiveFingers KSO Review

So either I fell trap to one of the best marketing campaigns or I just stumbled upon one of the best inventions ever.  Yesterday I bought a pair of Vibram's FiveFingers KSO shoes.  Surprisingly we actually had a store in town that had them which turned out to be a very unique store.  Along with the shoes I bought Chris McDougall's national book seller "Born To Run."

To test them out I grabbed the doggies and headed to Lick Creek Park here in CS.  The trail was moderately smooth, with rocks here and there but it wasn't too bad.  Although yes, I had to actually look where I was stepping to not puncture my foot with a large rock, I found the thin sole interesting in that it communicated well between the ground and my foot.  They're incredibly light on the step and require that you run with a forefoot/midfoot strike since the heel just doesn't have the cushion to support the popular heel strike.  It also reminded me of my childhood days when Joe and I would run barefoot everywhere and anywhere all day long.

So what do I think about them?  They're interesting yes, funny looking yes, but I think they might have a place for helping correct running form and strengthening the foot and definitely the calf muscles.  As far as "Born To Run," I've finished a few chapters already and it's a great book. (Check my last post for a link to the book)

Here's my new shoes.


P.S.  - I also just finished the popular book "Cesar's Way" by Cesar Milan.  (He's famous for his dog show the Dog Whisperer)  -  Great book for any dog owner/lover of any experience.

wrap around text

0 comments: